article_detail
Date Published: 21/08/2026
Good news from Granada: the city is getting back on its feet after a week of earthquakes
More than 639 buildings have been inspected, seven streets have returned to normal and the Ayuntamiento is offering tax discounts of up to 95% for earthquake repair work
There is cautious optimism in Granada as we go into the weekend. After a 4.8 magnitude earthquake struck last Saturday August 15, followed by 98 aftershocks through the night, and further tremors continuing into the following days, the city is now moving firmly into recovery mode.Mayor Marifrán Carazo said on Thursday that she hopes Granada will return to normal within the coming days. "It is safe," she said, reassuring visitors and residents that the city's hotels and most of its buildings have withstood the seismic activity without serious structural damage. More than 400 buildings have been inspected so far, with no significant structural problems identified.
The tremors continued into this week, with further earthquakes recorded across the region, and on Thursday morning a 3.4 magnitude tremor was recorded in the municipality of Dílar at a depth of just five kilometres. The overall sequence has now included two significant earthquakes of magnitude 4.8: the first on Saturday August 15 with its epicentre in Alhendín, and a second on Tuesday August 18 centred in Gójar.
On the ground, the Ayuntamiento has been working through the practical consequences. A total of 639 private and 74 public buildings have now been inspected. Seven streets and areas, including Navas, Gran Vía and Santa Aurelia, have been cleared and returned to normal, though 26 areas remain under monitoring. Cleaning crews are on standby to deal with fallen debris and cornices, working in coordination with the Policía Local and fire services.To help residents and business owners with repair costs, the Ayuntamiento has approved a 95% discount on the Construction, Installations and Works Tax for earthquake repairs to primary residences and commercial properties. Repairs to other types of building qualify for a 50% reduction. Applications must be submitted within one month of starting works, along with an expert damage report validated by municipal technical services.
Carazo has called on other levels of government to contribute aid as well. "The Ayuntamiento is offering its full cooperation to facilitate the implementation of these measures and ensure that aid reaches those affected as quickly as possible, but it is essential to make decisions rapidly," she said.
For any emergency, the number to call remains 112.
Image: Ayuntamiento de Granada/X
Loading
Sign up for the Spanish News Today Editors Roundup Weekly Bulletin and get an email with all the week’s news straight to your inbox
Special offer: Subscribe now for 25% off (36.95 euros for 48 Bulletins)
OR
you can sign up to our FREE weekly roundup!
Read some of our recent bulletins:
Discount Special Offer subscription:
36.95€ for 48 Editor’s Weekly News Roundup bulletins!
Please CLICK THE BUTTON to subscribe.
(List price 3 months 12 Bulletins)
Read more stories from around Spain:
Contact Spanish News Today: Editorial 966 260 896 /
Office 968 018 268






















